St Helens & District Badminton League
17th January 2016
Bryan Bickerstaff, Janet Cliffe, Nigel Cross, John Harrison, Paul Hawgood, Alison Marsh, Helen Williams.
Jan Chelton, Dave Savage.
- Minutes of the previous meeting and matters arising not on the Agenda
Helen welcomed everyone to the meeting.
The Minutes from the previous meeting held on 1st November 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record.
There were no matters arising that were not on the Agenda.
- Match Secretary update
Janet informed the Committee that the current league tables had been circulated on 10/1/16.
There were two issues that Janet wanted to bring to the Committee’s attention:
- Firstly, at a recent Mixed match (Vida B v Feathers), both teams were a lady short. Both teams discussed on the night as to which position the missing lady should be and it was decided for it to be the 3rd Janet pointed out that it should be the 2nd lady that is missing and this is written in the handbook at rule 18 (page 8). During the same match, Vida had to wait for one of their players to finish playing a Men’s knockout match before he could play his league games. This involved both teams waiting round until he had finished. Please can we remind all clubs that the handbook says at rule 20 (page 9) that a player can’t play two St Helens matches on the same night. It was decided to leave the final result as 7-5 to Feathers as there would be no point in replaying the match.
- Secondly, in the Men’s league Culcheth were due to play Bryn A on 14/1/16. Unfortunately Bryn did not turn up and were at fault by writing the wrong date down. Due to the no-show, the match has been awarded to Culcheth. A reminder to all teams – please check the fixture dates that are made at the fixture meeting very carefully.
Just a couple of outstanding score sheets:
Bryn v Vida B (Mixed division 2).
ICI A v Bryn (Men’s division 1).
- Knockout tournaments updates
Mens knockout: Paul said that all first round matches had been completed. The quarter finals should be played ideally by the end of January.
Cowley A v Bryn B (5/2/16)
Corpus Christi v Vida B (10/1/16)
Vida C v Culcheth A (1/2/16)
ICI conceded to Vida A as could not field a team.
So, all on track, handicapping been ok, except for mix up at Vida B v Cowley B match. Vida were awarded the points but they had already won without the handicap. Close handicapping in Bryn A v Corpus Christi match where Bryn lost by 1.5 points.
Paul mentioned that he was asked before a match if a player could play for one club in the Men’s league and a different club in Men’s Cup competition to which his answer was ‘No’. It was felt that further clarity was needed on this point and for it to be added to the rules.
Paul also requests for someone else to take over organising the Men’s knockout competition. Could secretaries please forward the request to their members. Alison to email secretaries separately on this point.
Mixed knockout: Janet said that we are now at the semi final stage:
Feathers v Grange Park B (8/2/16)
Vida A v Bryn (hope to play 24/2/16)
Janet wishes to thank John Harris for his invaluable help with the handicapping.
Feathers beat Sutton A by 2.5 points
Grange Park B beat Y Club by 4.5 points
Vida A beat Grange Park A by 10.5 points
Bryn beat Vida B by 23.5 points
- Treasurer update
In Jan’s absence, Helen read out Jan’s report: There is currently £851.37 in the account. Payments made since the last meeting have been the handbooks (£42) and £40 to Sutton’s Juniors towards the Liverpool League. Vida have recently asked for a similar donation which Jan will do next week. There are still two clubs who have not paid their league fees (Bryn and Y Club). Both have been contacted and advised that they have incurred fines of £15. If the clubs do not pay by the end of January then the fine will be £20. (If clubs have not paid by the end of October a £5 fine is incurred and a further £5 thereafter each month).
There was discussion around having other penalties placed on clubs for the late payment of fees. Helen pointed out that fees should be paid on fixture night. The handbook states that “Fees must be paid on the evening of the fixture meeting. The annual subscriptions for the clubs in full membership shall be determined at the AGM. Clubs from whom subscriptions have not been received by 30th September in any season may no longer be considered to be members of the League that season.” Maybe this last sentence needs relaxing slightly and if so a rule change is needed. If not paid by the end of December maybe points should be deducted for every team that club has in the league. It was decided that from next season (2016-17) if any club has not paid fees by the end of December 2016, from January 2017 each team of a club who has not paid will have a point deducted (as well as the fine).
Helen also suggested the amount of the fine should be raised to £10 – end of October £10, November £20, December £30 then 1 point to be deducted from each team.
Janet Cliffe to word a rule change for the next meeting. These proposals to the rule changes will be brought to the AGM for discussion.
- Adult and Junior tournaments
Adult Tournament: to take place on 13th March 2016. Nigel to send information out asap.
Junior Tournament: There is currently no-one to run the tournament. Helen will approach Craig Eccleston to see if he will consider arranging it again.
Secretaries to ask members if anyone else is willing to organise the tournament. If it goes ahead, it will be held on 24/4/16.
- Presentation and Dance evening
To be held on Saturday 14th May 2016.
Venue: It was agreed that Bishop Road is an ideal venue. This has been booked.
DJ/Catering: It was suggested to try a different DJ this year – Helen to ask Jan to try the DJ from 2014. Catering was good.
Trophies: Helen happy to organise trophies and would like to remind clubs that runners-up get trophies too.
Presentations: Helen to approach Tom Wolfenden as he was unavailable last year.
Tickets/Cost/Raffles: To save money, it was agreed that no raffle prizes will be bought – secretaries to ask clubs to donate something on the night. Keep cost of ticket at £9 and don’t charge extra for the quiz. Maybe don’t do the bingo, but need to think of other ways to raise money in its place.
- Any Other Business
- Nigel explained that, due to financial reasons, Corpus Christi will unfortunately close at the end of this season. Lack of members has firstly meant the club having no mixed team this season and low numbers at club nights has had a big impact financially. The committee agreed it is sad when small clubs have to close.
- Helen reported to the Committee an incident John Harris had observed during a match in November between Sutton A and Grange Park A. Unpleasantness arose surrounding disputes on line calls resulting in rows and shouting. It was felt that the true ethos of sportsmanship and fair play was lost. Having grown adults arguing and then being separated is not something that should be witnessed especially when junior players are present. On the night, a person unassociated with either team ended up scoring. The question arose as to whether a scorer is needed for matches. In the handbook, rule 15 states ’scorers to be appointed, duties to be equally shared by both teams’. This rule has dwindled over the years. The decision was made that if it is considered the match could be contentious, someone can be asked to score if that is what is required. Clubs are reminded that anyone has the right to have a scorer.
- Helen outlined the latest position with regard to the Broadway Centre. The venue is still run by St Helens Council – St Helens Badminton Ltd collect fees for hire of the courts and pay rent to the Council. St Helens Badminton Ltd had two directors – Rob Sowden and Helen, although Rob does not have any groups playing at Broadway. More people are therefore required to be on the committee. Helen will ask Ian Palethorpe (North West Badminton Academy), as they use the hall mostly, to see if he will be on the committee. Also to ask Ian Eccleston to be on committee. If any other organisations use Broadway, a representative would be welcomed onto the committee. It is likely that the Council will approach St Helens Badminton Ltd about taking over the running of the venue with issues such as cleaning, grounds maintenance, floor repairs, lighting etc. St Helens is lucky to have a specialist badminton centre – if anyone is interested being on the committee please contact Helen.
- Date and time of the next committee meeting
Sunday 10th April 2016, 7.30pm at Broadway.
Meeting closed at 8.50pm.
|Summary of Actions|
|3||Email secretaries to find someone to take over running Men’s knockout competition.||AM|
|4||Word rule change re fines/points deducted for non-payment of fees.||JCliffe|
|5||Send out information re adult tournament.||NC|
|5||Ask Craig Eccleston re running junior tournament.||HW|
|5||Email secretaries to find someone to take over running junior tournament.||AM|
|6||Ask Jan to try different DJ.||HW|
|6||Find someone to present trophies.||HW|
|6||Email secretaries – remind to donate item for presentation night raffle.||AM|
|7||Contact Broadway users to become committee members for St Helens Badminton Ltd.||HW|